Our client is one of the largest private investors in the country and have an aim of providing more job opportunities and economic stability throughout the country.
They currently have an opportunity for an Environmental Manager who works alongside and supports the COO, General Managers and five Sectoral Managers (Mine, Rail, Port, Procurement and Estates) in abiding with sound environmental practices through which they will achieve the aims of no net environmental damage. Work in close collaboration with the H&S Manager on matters of environmental health and other areas where health and safety relate closely with environmental issues.
Job description / core competencies:
Work under the technical direction of the CEO of Liberia, the mining segment Project Management Office (PMO) and the Corporate Environmental Team to ensure that the company’s operations in Liberia are managed to corporate standards
- Manage the Environmental Department to ensure that the company maintains the highest possible standards of environmental safeguards and management.
- Manage the Environmental Superintendent, Environmental Officers and Assistants to undertake all necessary functions in environmental activities.
- Work closely with the Biodiversity Manager to support and complement each other’s work in a positive way to maximise benefits to the environment, the company and relevant stakeholders.
- Communicate with the COO, General Managers, Sectoral Managers, company staff and Contractors regarding environmental compliance requirements and other matters of environmental importance.
- Keep senior management informed on all issues relating to the operation’s environmental standards and compliance.
- Review and refine Environmental Management Plans in consultation with the appropriate managers.
- Inform management in good time to ensure adequate resources are always made available as required for the effective implementation of all environmental mitigation and control measures.
- Work with the COO, General Managers and Sectoral Managers to plan for action to be taken in the event of spills or leakages of hazardous materials, and other environmental emergencies.
- Ensure that company staff and contractors are prepared for action to be taken in the event of accidents and other emergencies threatening human welfare and the environment.
- Ensure Environmental Audits and Environmental Compliance Reviews are performed against the relevant environmental standards, and formally report findings.
- Ensure that adequate action is taken to resolve unacceptable issues identified during Environmental Audits and Environmental Compliance Reviews.
- Manage a comprehensive programme of hydro-meteorological air emissions and water inlet and outlet monitoring, using appropriate instrumentation and sampling, and oversee a database of recordings that develops an increasing understanding of the environment and environmental interactions in the project areas and allows reporting for the yearly environment report.
- Maintain records of residues generated per category and destination, and report these to the corporate environmental team as required.
- Undertake day-to-day liaison with the statutory and non-statutory authorities, other interested agencies and members of the public. Maintain and develop relationships with stakeholders in company activities, consistent with the company’s Community Relations Policies.
- Oversee the appropriate recycling or disposal of waste materials, including hazardous substances, in the most environmentally sound manners possible under Liberian conditions.
- Investigate all environment-related complaints received by the company internally, and externally from government agencies, individuals and interest groups, and recommend to the CEO, COO or appropriate senior member of staff any actions that may be necessary in response.
- Participate in the introduction and implementation of appropriate international environmental standards, such as those of the Initiative for Responsible Mining Assurance (IRMA), ISO 14001 or others, as required by the PMO.
- Develop appropriate materials for environmental awareness and community interaction training, and oversee the delivery of these trainings.
- Mentor and develop environmental staff.
- Create and manage an Environment Committee, to be composed of other senior managers, and to meet at least once monthly to review all aspects of the company’s environmental management and give attention to the resolution of chronic environmental management problems.
- Prepare quarterly reports on all aspects of environmental compliance for the CEO, the COO, the PMO and the Corporate Environmental Team and other senior management as required, and ensure that the compliance data base is updated based on the evolution of the non-compliances.
- Work with the Environmental Adviser to prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports on different aspects of environmental management for the CEO, the PMO and the corporate environmental, legal, financial and corporate responsibility teams, and other senior management, as required.
- Oversee all administrative functions to ensure smooth daily operations.
- Provide direction, leadership and resources to all sectoral managers and superintendents to ensure that an effective team operation is established and maintained, and that morale is maintained at a high level.
- Ensure appropriate facilities, procedures and workforce competence to achieve legal compliance, incident prevention and the achievement of tasks in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- Become actively involved in the company’s aims and objectives of engaging with the local community and strive to leave a positive impact on the longer-term outcomes for local people. Promote the integration between this engagement and the success of the business.
- Ensure effective communication with delegates prior to any departure from site.
- Provide the leadership necessary to ensure that employees and any contractors adhere to safety and environmental standards that meet or exceed industry standards and any applicable legislation.
- Ensure all department and contracted personnel are adequately inducted in their work area and are aware of all workplace rules and critical procedures applying at the workplace.
- Actively contribute to safety policy and new initiatives, and implement change as directed by CEO.
- Hold monthly safety meetings with department and contracted personnel, and ensure that agreed action plans are achieved. Regularly review the outcomes of the OH&S and Environment Committee meetings.
- Develop and promote a proactive safety culture by the identification, development, dissemination and review of safe practices and procedures and by ensuring the awareness of all departmental personnel.
- Actively promote, monitor and enforce compliance of personnel with safe work practices.
- Ensure the department has an inspection programme. Monitor programme compliance and provide inspection feedback monthly.
- Ensure that all incidents are reported and investigated according to Company and statutory requirements, and that all recommended corrective actions are completed.
- Ensure all health and hygiene risks in the work areas are identified and controlled. Environment
- Resource environmental programmes to ensure legal compliance and the reduction of the risk of environmental incidents through:
- Provision of adequate facilities and equipment;
- Participation in the development and enforcement of appropriate procedures; and
- Provision of awareness and skills training to ensure a competent workforce.
- Ensure all incidents are reported and investigated according to Company policy and statutory requirements and all recommended corrective actions are completed.
- Seek advice and assistance from the Environment team in the development and implementation of improvement programmes to achieve aspects such as agreed eco-efficiency targets, hazardous waste disposal and spill clean-up.
- Ensure monthly environmental audits are conducted and any identified issues are addressed.
- Develop and maintain a departmental structure that adheres to company policies, and enables teamwork and personal development while focusing on the achievement of results.
- Ensure training and coaching are provided to all department employees, with specific attention to National and Local employees as part of the Company’s Training and Localisation Plan.
- Ensure all members of the department have clearly defined accountabilities and roles, and that individual development plans are in place to enable goals to be achieved.
- Ensure all members of the department receive feedback on their performance and participate in formal GEDP and performance review processes.
- Develop a succession plan for direct report roles.
- Review capital requirements for department items, to meet long term objectives of the Company.
- Review departmental expenditure on a monthly basis and ensure all variances to budget are investigated and explained.
- Identify specific areas for cost improvement and ensure the development and implementation of action plans to achieve these gains.
- Coordinate compilation of the annual departmental budget.
- Review and monitor all department safety, service level and financial performance indicators and initiate corrective action where necessary.
- Deliver reports to the CEO on agreed performance indicators and to agreed standard and schedule.
Key (3-4) major business challenges or objectives job holder will need to address or drive in the next 12-24 months:
- Develop a full understanding of all aspects of the biophysical and socio-economic environments and their interactions in all of the company’s areas of working.
- Develop and Implement strategies for the Environmental Management systems to ensure effective controls are in place.
- Ensure Environmental Audits are performed per the environmental standard.
- Develop and implement monitoring processes and systems to ensure that any Environmental non-conformance is identified and rectified.
Requirements of job holder to resolve the problems and respond effectively to the needs
- Immediate analysis of problem.
- Establishing the root cause of any problem.
- Establish effective communication structure within team.
- Establish and maintain credibility with the workforce.
Key stakeholders & relationships that need to be managed by the position holder:
- CEO, COO and Management team
- Environmental Adviser and Biodiversity Manager
- Mine, Rail, Port, Procurement and Estates Managers
- Direct Reports
- Community Leaders
- Health & Safety Department
- Government Officials
Measures of success after the first 1-2 years (KPA’s & KPI’s)
- A robust and effective environmental management and reporting system is operating.
- Current minor chronic environmental problems have been resolved or adequately mitigated.
- A reduction in environmental non-compliances reported quarterly compared with the previous 8 quarters (as judged by the Environmental Adviser of PMO environmental team.
- A comprehensive programme of hydro-meteorological air emissions and water inlet and outlet monitoring effective Environmental controls in place.
- Environmental Audits per the environmental standard are performed.
- Environmental non-conformances are identified and rectified in good time Potential consequences of the job holder NOT successfully executing in support of the specific drivers of the business/cultural priorities.
- Poor standards of environmental safeguards and management.
- Pollution to soil, water and air from stores and operational activities.
- Inappropriate quality of effluent waters and of air emissions.
- Not meeting budgetary targets.
Factors important to an individual’s cultural fit in this job:
- Well spoken (excellent command of English).
- Adaptability and resilience.
- Demonstrable experience of successful and harmonious working in a multi-cultural setting.
- Previous successful experience in managing environmental issues in the mining industry.
- Good working and living relationships.
- Organizational knowledge (e.g., systems, processes, products, services, etc.) necessary to operate effectively in this job.
- Industry Best Practice Environmental systems, standards, procedures and controls.
- Knowledge of contemporary operational development theory and methods.
- Company Policies and Procedures.
- Processes within department and company.
Education Requirements for this position (Formal qualifications) Essential
- Tertiary Qualifications (BSc) in Environmental Science or related (including Soil Science, Forestry, Agriculture, Ecology or Biology).
- Second degree (MSc or PhD) in an environmental subject
- Managerial Qualification
Key experiences needed prior to taking this position Essential
- At least 15 years’ experience in site- or field-based environmental management, including at least 5 years in a leadership role.
- At least 5 years in a mining environment in West Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation and management of a high level risk management/quality management system.
- Knowledge and experience in a processing operation in a developing country, demonstrating commitment to localization plans and sensitivity to local customs and practices.
- Demonstrated experience in processing operations training and competency development.
- Experience in managing department costs and budgeting.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team safely and improve team safety awareness.
- High level understanding of all relevant legislation affecting the employment and safety of persons in the mining industry in Liberia.
- Experience in incident/accident investigation.
- Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent.
Specific skills required for this position
- Demonstrated ability to develop a holistic understanding of local environmental aspects and interactions, and to manage potential impacts from company operations in a sensitive and sound manner.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead teams of highly skilled and experienced personnel having diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Able to demonstrate clearly the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Liberian driver’s license, or be able to obtain one.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- A commitment to understand local culture and impart technical knowledge to the local Liberian mine operations personnel.
- Able to deliver results on quoted targets.
- Able to construct systems that are the best method now and sustainable into the future.
- Able to provide support without removing responsibility (to build ownership).
- Ability to engage with all people associated with the AML Operations and to understand, learn from and share cultural differences.
- A demonstrable application of continuous improvement ideas.
- Good computer skills with the ability to use integrated management systems, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels.
- Confident communicator with senior management, legal entities and external stakeholders.
- Strong report writing and presentation skills.
- Able to read and write English at a University standard.
- Maintains or enhances other’s self-esteem.
- Listens and responds with empathy.
- Knowledge of Liberian customs and legal processes.
Personal Attributes needed to fulfil requirements of position Essential
- Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- Able to build relationships and engage people in continuous improvement processes.
- Always identifies the priorities correctly and works in a self-directed manner.
- Able to step back from direct control of hands-on work.
- Successfully delegates and trusts specialist staff for technical support.
- Able to manage interacting projects.
- Asks for help and encourages involvement.
- Shares thoughts, feelings and rationale (to build trust).
- Provides support without removing responsibility (to build ownership).
- Seeks to engage with all people associated with the AML Operations and to understand, learn from and share cultural differences.
Typical Career Path
1. Health, Safety, Environmental and Communities Manager.
2. Corporate Environmental Management.
|APPLICATION SHOULD BE ADDRESS TO:
||Nov 22, 2017
||Dec 31, 2017
|Jobs others are viewing