Our client is one of the largest private investors in the country and have an aim of providing more job opportunities and economic stability throughout the country.
They currently have an opportunity for a Continuous Improvement Lead to lead and enable Continuous Process Improvement activities in Liberia so as to maintain and improve overall business performance. Work with the Head of Operational Excellence to:
- Assist in developing and rolling out the Mining Continuous Improvement Program across all mining operations for their Liberia Mining Operations.
- Develop training capabilities & packages to support a sustainable change in culture across the group.
- Monitor and report on improvement activities and provide relevant management feedback.
- Respond and follow-up on process excursions with specific business units.
Major duties of job holder
Assist the CEO of Liberia to establish and drive the Continuous Improvement Program for Liberia, working with the Corporate Mining Segment Head of Operational Excellence with the purpose of:
- Factoring in safety considerations to continuous improvement activities that contribute to the elimination of incidents and injuries.
- Implementing best in class continuous improvement practices for all Liberia’s mining sites.
- Thorough training and targeted recruitment to establish deep CI bench strength in each unit.
- Develop and maintain a database of improvement initiatives (best practices).
- With the units develop KPI’s and reporting systems to track improvement outcomes.
- Assessing operational practices and supporting improvements using DMAIC and similar process.
Strategic implications and business drivers
Current and anticipated strategic objectives the job/level/business unit supports
- Establish a world class Continuous Improvement Program for Liberia.
- Ensure the CI Program has the capability to enable Business Areas to develop the capability to identify, implement and sustain improvements in response to a volatile low-price market.
- Develop a tracking and feedback process with the purpose of determining the outcomes from CI projects.
Organizational knowledge (e.g., systems, processes, products, services, etc.) necessary to operate effectively in this job
- Able to build and maintain relationships with other Mine Operations functions related to mine planning and operations, Health and Safety, Environment, Sustainable Development, Risk Identification and Management, Legal.
- Ability to operate in a matrix structure.
- In depth knowledge of continuous improvement and operational excellence practices.
- Substantive experience in the extraction and processing of bulk materials from open cut and underground mines.
Measures of success after the first 1-2 years
- Variability of mining operations against plan is reduced to as low as reasonably practical for each operation.
- Demonstrable cost reductions directly linked to CI processes.
- Sustainability of existing cost reduction programs locked in.
Factors important to an individual’s cultural fit in this job
- Cultural sensitivity is mandatory as dealing with diverse cultures internally and externally.
- Written and spoken fluent French and English languages are preferable.
Professional & Certification requirements for the ideal candidate:
- Mechanical, Industrial or Mining Professional Engineer with 10+ years of professional experience.
- Certified Lean Sigma Black Belt with over 5 years in Continuous Improvement experience with a minimum of 2-3 years leading a CI or Operational Excellence Program preferably in a Mining environment, but alternatively with a background in Heavy Industrial Manufacturing or processing.
Key experiences needed prior to taking this position
- Extensive and demonstrated international experience in improving the cost and operational performance of large and small scale mining operations.
- Additional experience in bulk materials handling systems including rail and port operations.
Personal Attributes needed to fulfil requirements of position
Key Competencies and Skills:
- Excellent analytical, strategic and planning skills
- Strong communication, multitasking, negotiation and persuasion skills
- Intimate view on economic, industry and market trends
- High computer and presentation skills
- Team spirit and autonomic
- High sense of responsibility
- Lives courageous leadership
- High ethical sense
- Willingness to work in a high-pressure environment